Hutchins is a city in Dallas County, Texas, United States. The area was first inhabited by families around 1860 as a trading place for immigrants who settled along the west bank of the Trinity River and new arrivals who crossed the Trinity at Dowd’s Ferry from the east.
The town received its name from railroad developer William J. Hutchins, who was then President and General Manager of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad (H&TC). The railway was completed through Hutchins in 1872. That same year a post office opened in the community.